(For your book club and holiday family gatherings)
In response to readers’ questions, I’ve put together the Booknerd’s Guide to What Burns Hotter than Desire?
- Did you read the prologue? Like…actually read it?
- What motivates Thomas to write his letters? Devotion? Guilt? Desperation? Something else?
- Are his letters believable?
- How should readers feel about (the main character who we’ll call) the French woman? Does she deserve our sympathy? Why or why not?
- There are similarities between the letters and the events that follow. Why?
- Are fantasy and reality easy to tell apart, in this story and in life?
- Is the main character’s appearance as hideous as she thinks? Does she have a monstrous heart?
- Why does she play with fire, figuratively speaking?
- Are the main characters good, bad, or somewhere in between? Are they changing, or the same as they’ve always been?
- Do they live happily ever after?